In complex environment of software development, traditional project management methods do not always meet their goals. After another project, delivering late and over budget features which customer doesn't need, the question arises, if there's any better method to run the project. The answer might lie in Agile approach, utilizing adaptive approach and putting more stress on customer collaboration. The most popular methodology is certainly Scrum, providing a set of practices allowing effective software project management. Despite its simplicity, this approach requires significant shift in mindset, making its successful implementation often difficult to perform.
This two-day "Scrum Essentials" training helps project's team understand rules behind Scrum and start working as a Scrum team. Interactive workshops and exercises based on participants' environment, make them try and understand elements of this methodology. Analysis of real life situations and challenges allows to effective implement Scrum right after the training.
To better meet participants’ needs the training content is always adapted, as lectures, exercises and discussion are selected to cover their expectation. Therefore, detailed scope varies between sessions. The typical flow covers following topics:
- Agile Manifesto - New mindset for software development
- Exercise: Iterative approach
- Introduction to Scrum
- Scrum roles and responsibilities
- Exercise: self-organization
- Product planning - Backlog and User Stories
- Exercise: Communication restriction
- Exercises: User Stories and Acceptance Criteria
- Exercise: Prioritization
- Agile Estimating and Planning:
- Exercise: Planning Poker
- Exercise: User Story decomposition
- Sprint planning and execution
- What is Done? Definition-of-Done (DoD)
- Release and Sprint monitoring and reporting, burn-down charts
- Daily Scrum, Task Board and Impediments Backlog
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Engineering practices supporting Scrum
- Scrum Simulation
- Implementing Scrum: Common obstacles and how to handle them
- Q & A
The course goal is to prepare participants for executing project according to Scrum methodology. After completing the course, participants will:
- Understand Agile principles
- Know the difference between traditional and adaptive approaches
- Know Scrum roles in their project
- Be able to create Task Board for their project
- Efficiently collaborate with customer, defining Product Backlog in form of User Stories
- Know how to estimate, plan and execute project
- Measure project progress utilizing burn-down chart
- Improve software development processes
- React to changes and adopt plans to reality
- Understand benefits of Scrum practices
This course is dedicated for project teams planning to adopt Scrum approach, or willing to broad their knowledge about methodology and increase effectiveness of deployed practices.
2 days (16h)
As long as it's convenient, training bases on real project being implemented by team participating in the course. After the training adoption of the new practices, support in solving encountered challenges and further process improvement can be achieved by utilizing consulting and coaching services from ProCognita.
Agile and Lean Training
If you're interested in scheduling private course for your company please inquire.